If you haven't planned the summer camp agenda for the kids yet, now's the time to get crackin'! Westchester County offers a variety of enriching and fun summer camps for kids. Several even have limited spots for extended day participants.
- Children's Summer Ecology Camp. This camp for children in grades 1 through 6 is held at three locations in Westchester County: Cranberry Lake Preserve in North White Plains, Marshlands Conservancy in Rye, and the Trailside Nature Museum at the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Kids will be led by environmental educators in exploration and discovery of the natural world with fun activities. The camps offer six one-week sessions, held weekdays from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. The Cranberry Lake location offers a limited number of extended care spots. Cost: $250 per session. Call 914-864-7326. Register with the Web Trac registration system
- Conservationists in Training. The level is amped up for 7th, 8th and 9th graders as environmental educators lead them in learning orienteering and survival skills! Youngsters will learn advanced techniques for discovery, including radio-tracking wood turtles. This camp is offered at Cranberry Lake Preserve and the Trailside Nature Museum at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Three two-week sessions begin on July 2 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Cost: $725 per session. Register with the Web Trac registration system.
- Nature Week at Lenoir Preserve. Children in grades 2 - 4 will discover their inner naturalist with an adventerous week in the outdoors. Kids will cook with a solar cooker, explore the forest, visit a butterfly garden, and learn about birds, insects, mammals, reptiles and amphibians. Three two-week sessions are offered beginning on July 9 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Cost: $225 per week. Register with the Web Trac registration system.
- Slam Dunk Basketball Camp. The County Center will host this dynamic basketball camp for kids in grades 1 through 9. "Little Hoopers" in grades 1 and 2 will be from 8:30 a.m. until 12 p.m. for $150 per one-week session. Third through ninth grade players will stay from 8:30 a.m. until 4P30 p.m. for $300 per one-week session. Multi-week and sibling discounts are available, as well as a discounted rate for ten or more members from a basketball team who sign up for the same week. Sessions begin on June 25. Register with the Web Trac registration system.
- Hole-in-One Junior Golf Camp. Six Westchester golf courses will offer a camp for children ages 10 through 17. The camps held at Dunwoodie and Sprain Lake in Yonkers, Hudson Hills in Ossining, Maple Moor in White Plains, Mohansic in Yorktown Heights, and Saxon Woods in Scarsdale are all taught by top PGA pros. Camps are held in two-hour segments four days per week. Times vary by course - find the application here.
- Volleyball Camp. Girls in grades 6 through 12 will convene at the County Center for two weeks of challenging volleyball fun for all levels. Grades 6 - 8 meet from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. for $125 per week, and grades 9 - 12 meet from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. for $175 per week. Read the brochure and the application for the camps which begin on July 30.
- The Westchester Summer Music Center. The County Center will also host a six-week music instruction program for youngsters in grades 3 through 12. Band and orchestral instrument classes will be held, in addition to keyboard, guitar, and recorder instruction. Hours are 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. daily beginning on June 25 for six weeks. Cost: $550 if registering before May 25; $600 after May 25. Discounts are available for a third child as well as for Park Pass holders. Non-county residents will be charged an additional $75. Read the brochure and application here.
Residents can call 914-864-7173 for additional information about county camps or click here.