Test your energy IQ by answering the five questions below. You can leave your answers in the comments section.
The answers are now posted below each question. All of the information is from the U.S. Energy Information Administration Independent Statistics and Analysis website. Click the links below for more information.
1. The United States imports the majority of oil from which country?
a) Saudi Arabia
2. In 2009, the top oil producing country in the world was:
c) Saudi Arabia
3. What percentage of U.S. energy use is generated from renewable sources, including water (hydroelectric), wood, biofuels, wind, organic waste, geothermal, and solar?
Note: This answer is based on the most recent official data available from the Energy Information Administration from 2009. The percentage today may be higher.
4. In the United States, one barrel of crude oil will produce (approximately) how many gallons of gasoline?
A barrel of oil contains 42 gallons, but one barrel yields between 19 and 21 gallons of motor gasoline.
5. Adjusted for inflation, what month and year did the U.S. experience the highest average retail price for a gallon of regular gasoline?
a) June 2008
b) August 2008
c) April 2011
d) July 1979
Answer: June 2008