Fairview firefighters said a damaged extension cord caused a fire that damaged a one-story home at 19 Tomahawk Dr. in the Town of Greenburgh Monday morning.
Firefighters responded to the scene at about 8:30 a.m. after a neighbor called 911, according to Deputy Chief Walter Murray. The home’s occupants weren’t inside when the fire was called in, Murray said.
When firefighters arrived, they noticed smoke and flames coming through a rear bedroom window. Murray said firefighters were able to conduct an aggressive interior attack inside the home and managed to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes.
Fire damage was contained to a bedroom, the kitchen and the living room area. Murray said the home was uninhabitable and repairs need to be made before the family can move back in.
A family member who arrived at the scene declined assistance from Red Cross, Murray said.Firefighters from Hartsdale, Greenville and White Plains assisted at the scene.