Temptations happens all the time but so much more during the holidays. Those buns so firm and sweet...oh boy. Yes, you guessed it. I’m talking about the food at the holiday parties. I can already taste my cousin Stephanie’s cookies and Aunt Amy’s homemade pizza....yummy. BUT what to do if one wants to stay on the journey to better health or just wants to look and feel better. I have 8 weapons to help.
- Do a kick butt cardio workout the day of the party. Some ideas are Spin, Kickboxing, Cardio Pump or Zumba. Anything that makes you sweat. When temptation hits think about how hard you worked that day. That feeling of accomplishment will always feel better than 10 cookies.
- Avoid Stress. I know easier said than done but there are ways to manage stress without putting potato chips and dip in your mouth. In addition to going to the gym you can go to the spa. Get a Pondu stretch.
- Have a light healthy lunch or dinner before you go to the party. This way you’re satisfied and it’s easier to control your temptation.
- Where tight pants. Your pants will tell you “ok buddy…put the biscuits down”
- Serve yourself on a small dish. You already had a healthy lunch/dinner so at the party grab an appetizer dish. If a small dish isn’t available then small portions.
- Avoid Alcohol..ok have one and drink lots of water. Cocktails have many empty calories. You can alternate one cocktail then two glasses of water. Put a lemon in you glass to jazz it up and for flavor. You can also volunteer to be the designated driver.
- Reach out to your exercise buddy or personal trainer for support. One of the advantages about a personal trainer is the support you get even when you are not training. You can also go on to our Facebook and Twitter to read the inspiring message of the day.
- Go for a walk. After dinner take a vigorous walk with your favorite cousin and catch up on the gossip.
If you happen to “fall off the wagon” don’t give up. Don’t say “oh well I already had two pieces of Nana’s cake. One more won’t hurt”. STOP, take a deep breath and step away from the cake. Think about how hard you worked out at Will2Lose. Learn from your mistake and continue on your journey to better health. Remember only you can do this for you. No Challenge. No Change.